Helpful Tips for a Smooth Move!
Moving is easily one of the most stressful parts of life, thanks not only to the heavy lifting, but also because of the sheer amount of things you need to move, and the scope of the job. And sure, it’s exciting to think about the new place you’re going, but once the work begins, the whole process can easily start to become chaotic.
That’s why the advice that our professionals have for you comes in two main categories:
- Organization, and
If you can keep every aspect of your move well-planned out and organized, much of the stress you’re expecting can be completely eliminated.
- Clear out any unwanted things. Holding a garage sale can help you get rid of a lot of unnecessary items!
- Get rid of anything that’s flammable: pail, gasoline, or even their containers. You don’t need these things around when you’re trying to move.
- Get rid of any clothes that you don’t need! This can be tough, because it’s easy to tell yourself you might want these things in the future, but if you haven’t worn an item in 6 months, give it to charity.
- Separate your books: organize them based on weight, size, and value. If you can get rid of any, go ahead—books are tough to move. Don’t forget to check for any local charities that accept book donations, so you can make your move is easier and help out your community.
- Round up all of your personal documentation: you don’t want to lose these things during the move, so make sure they’re all in one, safe place. Doing this beforehand will save you a lot of stress the packing and unpacking process.
- Pack one room at a time, and label your boxes not just with what’s inside them, but with which room they belong to as well.
- Be sure that you have plenty of “filling” materials.
- Pack heavier items at the bottom of the box, and lighter items on top. Try not to make any boxes weigh more than 50 pounds. Put heavier items in smaller boxes.
If you’re planning on moving on your own, you’ll want to make sure that you plan everything and pack everything long before the move begins. Trying to do all of this on the same day can turn you into a flustered mess, and you want to make sure that you have plenty of extra time.
Contact Coastal Moving & Storage if you need any help with your move. We provide services that include long and short term storage, local, interstate, and international moves, and packing.